RG 05. Administrative Divisions
Found in 43 Collections and/or Records:
The Alumni, Communications and Philanthropy collection contains fundraising and publicity materials, records on donors and foundations, records of various department staff, alumni event and support materials, campus maps and tour guides, and staff newsletters published by the department. A highlight of the collection is its numerous publications reflecting the fundraising efforts and historical background of the College which can be found in Series 2: Publicity and Publications.
The Appalachian Museum was created in 1969 (officially open to the public in 1971) to care for the college's growing collections of artifacts from the Appalachian area. It was dedicated to the task of preserving the distinctive crafts and telling the story of the traditional lifestyle of the people of the Southern Appalachian Mountains. The museum was closed in May of 1998 with most of its activities and collections being integrated into the educational programs of the College.
Dating back to at least 1889 the alumni of Berea College have worked to further enhance the life and work at Berea College. Berea had its first Alumni Association President in 1910. In 1924, a handful of alumni formed the first Alumni Office. Since then, the Association has grown into an organization of over 17,000 former students governed by the Alumni Executive Council which serves in an advisory role to the Office of Alumni Relations.
Starting in 1899, a fire brigade made up of students and known as the "Bucket Brigade," was established on campus and responded to calls both on and off campus. Formally established in 1905 by the College, the Fire Department served the campus and the city and was staffed by students. In 1966, the City of Berea took over responsibilities for operating the fire department ending what many affectionally referred to as the "College Fire Department."
Records include: Reports, correspondence, printed items and pamphlets, newsletters and wellness notices, manuals, and materials regarding the history of the program and staff who have served.
Founded in 1899, Berea College Hospital appears this is the oldest college hospital in the United States, preceding Harvard's by one year. The hospital is no longer affiliated with the College and is currently administered by the Saint Joseph Health Systems under the name Saint Joseph, Berea.
This collection contains the records of a number of stores that have been run, and/or continue to be run, be Berea College over its history. Stores include the Berea College Student Cooperative (Co-op), the Berea College Store (College Grocery Store), and Berea College Bookstore, and the Berea College Visitor Center and Shoppe.
Records of the Berea College Utilitilies Department inlcuding Waterworks and Heat and Power.